Cloth Insulated – Wiring Replacement

Electrical wiring has a service of about 50 years, at which time, it may need replacing. Electrical wiring, with a cloth covering, was initially installed in residential buildings in the 1920s. At the time, cloth-insulated wiring worked flawlessly to deliver electricity into homes from the main line.

It is recommended for the homeowner to perform annual inspections of their properties. A home inspection includes the roofing system, plumbing pipes, flooring, bathroom & kitchen faucets, and lighting fixtures. What is missing from the inspection? The electrical system, which is comprised of the wiring, breakers, panel, light switches, outlets, and fixtures. The electrical system is one of the most dangerous in residential settings, which is why unskilled homeowners turn to the experts at Alpha Electrician Tacoma.

Signs Of Damaged Cloth-Insulated Wiring

It is nearly impossible to thoroughly inspect an electrical system, without breaking it down. It is possible to inspect the exterior of light fixtures, outlets, and switches, not the interior. There are several signs that point to damaged cloth-insulated wiring. These signs include:

Electrical Wiring Building Codes

The NFPA 70 National Electrical Code “NEC” has been adopted by 50 US states. There are no laws that require homeowners to replace cloth-insulated wiring. However, it will be impossible to get approved for a home loan or insurance coverage without replacing it first. If your home was built between 1920 and 1960, it most likely has cloth-insulated electrical wiring.

It is important to know the building codes in your state to avoid penalties or delays in obtaining a mortgage for your home.

Dangers Of Cloth-Covered Electrical Wiring

What makes cloth-covered wiring so dangerous is the vulnerability of the cloth insulation. The insulated cloth is exposed to the elements – dust, moisture, dirt, heat, and cold. The level of exposure depends on the installation. Cloth-insulated wiring is installed inside walls, basements, attics, and floors. Electrical wiring runs from the mainline to the electrical panel to the interior of the home, and to each electrical fixture. so dangerous is the vulnerability of the cloth insulation. The insulated cloth is exposed to the elements – dust, moisture, dirt, heat, and cold. The level of exposure depends on the installation. Cloth-insulated wiring is installed inside walls, basements, attics, and floors. Electrical wiring runs from the mainline to the electrical panel to the interior of the home, and to each electrical fixture.

The insulated cloth utilized in the 1900s electrical wiring application breaks down over time. It becomes fragile and brittle, leaving the wiring exposed. Exposed electrical wiring is extremely dangerous. There is the risk of the exposed wires making contact with insulation, resulting in a spark and potentially a house fire.

Another danger associated with cloth-covered wiring is it is not always grounded. Modern building codes require all electrical systems to be grounded to lower the risk of overloads and damaged circuits.

How To Determine If Your Electrical Wiring Is Safe?

The only way to be 100 percent sure your home’s electrical system is functioning to the maximum capacity is through a professional inspection. Flickering lights, unexplained energy bills, and intermittent shorts are linked to damaged wiring. If any of these signs are noted in your home, do not hesitate to reach out to our licensed electricians. We are a one-stop-electrical shop.

We utilize state-of-the-art equipment, manpower, and combined skills to replace outdated cloth-covered wiring. Call today for a free written estimate.

We Accept:

Insulated cloth over electrical wire